Tags are not signatures. Well… they may be in graffiti, but website tags are navigation aids. Keywords, often displayed on the right of a blog post.
Ever click on one? Probably not, as most tags are poorly used…
Difference between Categories and Tags
Both tags and categories are used to help visitors find other posts and work in the same way but have slightly different uses.
- “Categories” are like a table of contents
- “Tags” are like an index of words
Picking the right Tag or Category Names
Tags are counter-productive if they are not thought through carefully.
- Good tags help visitors navigate to related posts
- Poor tags frustrate visitors and encourage them to leave your site
Less Important reasons to use Tags
If you are only using tags to help you get to the top of Google, that’s not a good enough reason.
- Helps Google understand relevance of content
- The SEO benefits of tags is often vastly exaggerated