“The website just… works”
Achieving clarity creates frictionless websites. Clearing those obstacles, on the path to action, is often overlooked. This can double the percentage of visitors who go on to make enquiries.
Clearing the Path to Action
Your logo reassures visitors they’re on the correct site!
- Logo: simple so as clear on a banner as a phone
- Typeface & colours: current, appropriate
- Brand consistency
Prioritise menu items, in order for user journey.
- Links to child pages to encourage ‘deep’ reading
- Clear calls to action
- Lead content in prime position on each page
Make menus clear & relevant.
- Quicken return journeys
- Static sub-menus, so signposts not ‘hidden’ with drop-down menus
- Click-bait excerpts to increase page flow
Ensure well-crafted content is easy to read.
- Font sizes & line heights
- Words per line
- Paragraph lengths
- Text justification use
- Visuals to text ratio
Clarity on what visitors can do
- Consistent colours for text links
- Visually clear buttons & calls to action
- Essential info not ‘hidden’
No-one likes completely forms, so keep them short.
- Essential fields only
- Notifications, security & capture
- Modals and mobiles
Ensure text & background has sufficient colour contrast.
- Black on white: use dark grey due to screen glare
- Short copy for light text
- Text shadow over images
Icons, signposting content, saves label reading. Ensure visitors know what they mean, otherwise it’s just garnish.
- Test: can the icon stand alone, without a label?